Monday, March 27, 2006

Get Your Rear in Gear




I don't often watch Katie Couric's TV broadcasts but I was reminded of her this weekend when my girlfriend and I ran our first 5K (3.1 miles for those victims of the education monopoly) charity run together. Several years ago Ms. Couric lost her husband to colon cancer so she went on TV to promote the need for colonoscopy exams to help prevent this disease.

Our 5K run, which was part of the Colon Cancer Coalition, http://www.getyourrearingear.com, was held at beautiful Lake Harriet in Minneapolis, Minnesota. The Minneapolis race was started in 2005 via the work of two sisters -- Susan and Kristin Lindquist Mjelde -- and had 1,400 runners while raising over $50,000 their first year. I am certain that 2006 was even more successful since we heard that over 2,000 people registered for this event.

I ran this event for numerous reasons including the fact that I lost my paternal grandmother to this disease several years ago so whatever your motivation I hope you consider completing a few 5k runs this year for at least your own good health.

Hit the road,

Todd

No comments: