- overseas demand for whey and other components of milk
- feed costs because of ethanol (driving the price of corn up)
- laws of supply and demand
While a gallon of milk is nearly $4.00 the price of a gallon of gasoline hovers around $3.00 so I have to pose the following questions --
- When will the government investigate, 'Big Milk', in the same way they have attacked 'Big Oil' ?
- Perhaps the CEOs of the big milk producers need to testify before Congress?
- Will Congress call for a windfall profits tax on milk producers?
- Will Al Gore lead us to the Promised Land by exploring "alternative milk" options?
- Does the Head Start program need even more funding due to rising milk prices?
- Should there be a special tax levied on milk guzzling families?
- Will the US military invade India or Russia to ensure the free flow of cow milk for our economy? :-) (Top cow milk producing country rankings noted here -- http://www.fao.org/es/ess/top/commodity.html?lang=en&item=882&year=2005)