Monday, October 29, 2007

Tuesdays and Wednesdays

Last night (Sunday) I watched the fourth and final game of Major League Baseball's (MLB) "World (USA at least) Series" between the Boston Red Sox and the Colorado Rockies baseball clubs. Congratulations to the Red Sox - even though I wanted to see Colorado win -- who swept the Rockies in the first four games of the planned seven game series to become champions.

Then this afternoon (Monday) my favorite talk radio program, "Garage Logic", discussed the World Series since the show's host (Joe) is a former sports reporter. Joe made an insightful observation when he noted that MLB has a real problem with the length of their games since one game this weekend lasted for 4 hours and 16 minutes. This observation then prompted Joe to opine -- "today's baseball games last so long and the newspaper industry has had to cut expenses so dramatically there is really no reason to even send a reporter to cover the night baseball games anymore because the reporters' deadlines for stories come before the game has ended in most cases thus making it impossible for the newspaper to print the final scores/game results..........." (my paraphrasing).

Yes I enjoyed watching the World Series but let me offer the MLB owners/commissioner this bit of advice -- SCHEDULE YOUR SEPTEMBER AND OCTOBER GAMES ON TUESDAY AND WEDNESDAY NIGHTS WHEN POSSIBLE.

Why?

Because Tuesday and Wednesday nights are the only evenings we football fans (I am watching Monday Night Football -- Denver Broncos vs. Green Bay Packers -- as I type this posting) must do without televised football games!! While I am indeed a baseball fan, I must admit that I was switching back and forth last night between Sunday Night Football and the World Series which is not a good demographic trend for MLB assuming there are others like me out there :-)

Back to the game,

Todd

No comments: