Friday, February 03, 2006

Oppressed Workers





Since I started blogging in September 2005 I have always been on the lookout for content. I clip newspapers articles, read electronic newsletters, etc. in search of ideas. Tonight is a good example -- after leaving the gym I went grocery shopping at Cub Foods where I started talking with the checkout lady. She appeared to be in her fifties, perhaps single (no ring) , with or without kids, and had an overall happy personality. I asked her how long she had been working in this job to which she replied that she had been working at Cub Foods part-time for the last 2.5 years but she also has worked full-time "sitting in front of a computer" for the last 23 years where she receives FIVE (5) WEEKS OF VACATION EACH YEAR!!

The check out lady went on to tell me that she works seven (7) days per week and really enjoys having two (2) very different jobs since when she is working one job it is a bit of an "escape" for her from the other job and vice versa.

What I noticed the most was her upbeat personality. She did not complain about the work hours, lack of leisure time, and similar concerns. This very short conversation really encouraged me since it was completely contrary to the messages we often receive from politicians that "Americans are working 4 jobs to make ends meet and the government needs to help 'working class Americans'.................." Sadly what I rarely hear is legislative progress on the creation of a flat income tax or ever better the elimination of personal income taxes. If you don't believe the best government "help" for the American worker is tax relief then I suggest you get a part-time job so you can pay EVEN MORE income taxes so you provide the government with more revenue so they can "invest it" in American workers :)

In the immortal words of Prisoner/former Member of Congress James Traficant of Ohio --

http://www.freetraficant.com/

"Beam me up",

Todd

No comments: