Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Babs

My wife and most close friends encourage me to "full the glass as half full not half empty" so today I clearly saw the glass in my life as nearly full!!

Why?

My local newspaper reported that none other than Barbra Streisand -- champion of big government and limousine liberal public policy solutions -- contributed $10,000 to a charter school - a baby step for consumer choice in education -- in St. Paul, Minnesota. Indeed, the Streisand Foundation provided this grant to the St. Paul Conservatory for Performing Artists which serves students in the 9th through 12th grades.

If readers don't know a charter school is a form of school choice however in Minnesota it is half-pregnant reform since our charter schools are still run by the education establishment for the most part. I am happy to be "educated" by my readers if I mis-stated anything regarding charter schools. For more on school choice/reform issues please visit these entities:

www.spn.org

www.heartland.org -- for their "School Reform News" newspaper

www.ij.org

One final comment about Ms. Streisand's generosity is the fact that she held a concert in St. Paul's Xcel Center where she charged up to $450.00 per ticket. Now I understand why the big government types like her want governments to mandate "living wages" -- because if we had living wages it would allow those Americans living in poverty to afford Babs' concert tickets!!

A concerted effort for students,

Todd

No comments: