Thursday, December 21, 2006

The Need for Celebrities

Yesterday's media seemed to be completely dominated by Don Trump's decision to not say "You're Fired" to the current Miss USA who apparently is guilty of some underage drinking thus giving her a second chance. Then in today's newspaper I read that Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) has severed its ties to the current Miss Teen USA due to her own underage drinking.

Since Miss USA agreed to go to rehab to treat her alcohol intake the journalists covering the story noted all the celebrities who have entered rehab recently such as Mel Gibson which received substantial "news coverage" in Star Magazine --

http://www.starmagazine.com/celebrity_news_gossip/star/9313

Personally, I don't watch the entertainment TV channels and my wife's People magazine is not on my regular reading list but I do see a societal need for celebrities to help bring attention to life's various challenges and diseases.

Why?

Christopher Reeve is perhaps the perfect example to support my statement because honestly, who ever discussed the term, "neuro recovery" , on CNN or in your local coffee shop until Superman fell off his horse? http://www.christopherreeve.org/site/c.geIMLPOpGjF/b.899265/k.CC03/Home.htm

Also, this week it was reported that First Lady Laura Bush (for a preview of the 2008 elections please check my new blog at -- http://firstspouses2008.blogspot.com) recently had surgery for skin cancer which will help drive a focus on skin care issues and treatments I am certain.

Overall celebrities not only entertain the general population their tradegies/personal challenges also impact the health and welfare of the nation. Of course there are both positives and negatives to this conclusion but overall I see more good than bad being produced by such a phenomenon since unknown/faceless patients benefit when a well known celebrity falls ill with the same disease.

Dark indeed but hopeful,

Todd

1 comment:

Jeff Deitering said...

Cause when you’re a celebrity
It’s adios reality
You can act just like a fool
And people think you’re cool
Just cause your on T.V.
I can throw major fits
When my latte isn't just how I like it
They say I've gone insane
I'll blame it on the fame
And the pressures that go with....
Being a Celebrity